Hurricane Irma will go down as one of the top hurricanes in Florida history, and nine months later, the recovery continues in Collier County thanks, in part, to the continued efforts of United Way of Collier County (UWCC).
More than $1.9 million was raised through individual donations, corporate charitable contributions and several United Way organizations including United Way Worldwide, United Way Miami Dade and United Way Florida.
Today, United Way of Collier County announced local non-profit charities that provide direct services and programs to residents of Collier County received more than $1.9 million. Funds are designated to provide immediate disaster relief and assist with immediate rental/mortgage help, emergency housing, childcare, food, home repairs and refurbishments. 100% of donations collected were distributed to organizations with no administrative fee.
“Thousands of local citizens have been affected by Hurricane Irma,” said United Way CEO Steve Sanderson. “UWCC has been working tirelessly and will continue to stand ready to help those in need. As we continue down the path to recovery, I am encouraged by the resilience of our community coming together and getting through this trying time.”
Sanderson cited recent recovery efforts in a recent short documentary video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BEYdGawDY as an example of collaborative efforts with UWCC and areawide agencies assisting local residents.
“It is critical during a crisis like Hurricane Irma, Collier County residents file an application with FEMA,” he emphasizes. “The amount of federal assistance sent to our county’s rebuilding process is directly related and based upon the number of applications,” he adds.
Local charities receiving UWCC hurricane relief funds include:
1) Catholic Charities — Fights poverty and strengthens families by providing food, clothing, shelter, counseling, and other services to those in need
2) Redlands Christian Migrant Association (RCMA) — Childcare services for migrant farm worker families living in Immokalee
3) Jewish Family & Community Services — Provides mental health, senior outreach and support services, a dementia respite support program, and a food pantry
4) Grace Place for Children & Families –Neighborhood center providing after-school, summer, early childhood, literacy, and youth development programs for at-risk children or impoverished families in Golden Gate city
5) Greater Marco Family YMCA — Social and recreational activities to build strong kids and strong families living in Marco Island
6) Immokalee Child Care Center — Day care facility emphasizing a fun and productive early education
7) Collier Child Care Resources (CCCR) — Provides early childhood care, education and resources to children from low-income families
8) Fun Time Early Childhood Academy — Educational day care center for children of low-income, working families
9) Goodwill, RCMA –Provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have barriers preventing them from otherwise obtaining a job
10) Cancer Alliance of Naples — Devoted to improving the quality of life of local individuals and families affected by cancer by providing need-based financial assistance, information resources and links to services and community support groups
11) Guadalupe Social Services — Breaks the cycle of poverty by providing educational, social, and other support programs and resources
12) The Salvation Army — social service agency providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster survivors, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter for the homeless
People looking for ways to assist non-profits that support hurricane victims may donate online at www.cfcollier.org/collier-comes-together-disaster-relief-fund. UWCC is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and all donations are tax deductible.
About United Way of Collier County
United Way of Collier County (UWCC) works to advance the common good by focusing on the building blocks for a good quality of life – education, income, health, and safety net services. A volunteer-driven organization, UWCC partners with hundreds of volunteers and 34 local charities to provide hundreds of human service programs and annually serves over 100,000 Collier residents. United Way of Collier County’s VITA, Volunteer Collier and Collier 211 focus on making an impact in our community.
To give, to advocate or to volunteer, call (239) 261-7112 or visit www.unitedwayofcolliercounty.org.
WCG is an award-winning, full-service, public relations, print and digital advertising and marketing firm assisting companies throughout Naples, Fort Myers and Southwest Florida in the development of successful brand, marketing and advertising strategies. Its partner company, Sprickit Digital, offers full-service digital marketing and digital advertising services throughout Florida and the United States. Their offices are located at 2343 Vanderbilt Beach Road, Suite 608, in Naples, Florida. For more information, call 239-597-9480, visit www.wcgpros.com or sprickit.com